Why Jupiter Island Is the Way It Is: A History

Lifestyle & Culture

Why Jupiter Island Is the Way It Is: A History

Nikko Karki
Nikko Karki July 15, 2026
Jupiter Island has been in the written record for three hundred years, and for most of them somebody was planning to make it something bigger. A Spanish land grant, a pineapple plantation, a resort subdivision and an east coast Hollywood all had their turn. Every plan failed, and the island outlasted each one, until a family arrived in 1933 with the opposite idea. The Reeds chose restraint, and the island as it stands today, a quiet town of homes between a wildlife refuge and a nature preserve, is that choice made permanent. This is the island's history in full, told for anyone who wants to understand why it is the way it is.
The island enters the record
1696
A shipwrecked Quaker's journal
An acre, in 1821
$1
The island's first recorded land price
The town incorporates
1953
Its character in its own hands since
Years of Reed stewardship
63
The Hobe Sound Company, 1933 to 1996

The Name and the People Before

The island's recorded history opens with a storm. In September 1696 the barkentine Reformation, carrying a Quaker merchant named Jonathan Dickinson and his family toward Philadelphia, wrecked on Jupiter Island's shore. The survivors were held for several days by the Jobe, the people of this coast, before beginning a long march north to St. Augustine. Dickinson's journal of the ordeal became one of colonial America's most widely read books, and it fixed this stretch of coast in the written record.

The people did not survive the colonial era, but their name did, twice. Spanish accounts rendered it Jobe, pronounced roughly Hoe-bay, which lives on directly in Hobe Sound. English ears later heard the same word as Jove, and the island and its inlet took the Roman god's other name. Jupiter Island is, in the end, named for the people who met Dickinson on its beach.

A Century of Grand Plans

For its next two centuries the island was a canvas for other people's ambitions. Spain granted roughly 12,000 acres of this coast to Don Eusebio Gomez in 1815. Six years later he sold 8,000 of them at one dollar an acre, and speculators multiplied the price through the 1820s without building a thing. English investors arrived in the 1890s and planted pineapples until the great freeze of 1895 ended Florida's plantation dreams. William Angas built the little Island Inn in 1916. The Olympia Improvement Company platted resort subdivisions in 1923. And in 1925 came the grandest plan of all: Picture City, an east coast Hollywood of studios and celebrity estates, laid out on paper across the sound.

The land boom crashed in 1926 and took Picture City with it. The holdings passed through a bankruptcy, then through the Depression, and in 1933 they were liquidated for a fraction of their boom-era price. A century of schemes had come to nothing. The island was still mostly wild, still waiting, and about to be bought by people with no scheme at all.

Three hundred years, year by year
The island's recorded history, from the shipwreck to the refuge
← Scroll to see all columns →
YearWhat happened
1696The barkentine Reformation wrecks on the island in a storm. Jonathan Dickinson's party is held by the Jobe people, and his published journal carries the island into the written record
1815Spain grants Don Eusebio Gomez roughly 12,000 acres spanning the rivers and the barrier island
1821Gomez sells 8,000 acres at one dollar an acre, the island's first recorded land price
1890sEnglish investors plant pineapples. The great freeze of 1895 ends the plantation era
1916William Angas builds The Island Inn, a small hotel with three cottages
1923The Olympia Improvement Company plats Olympia Beach and Bon Air Beach
1925Picture City buys the holdings, planning an east coast Hollywood of studios and stars
1926The Florida land boom crashes and Picture City fails. The island absorbs another grand plan
1933After the Depression brings a liquidation, four partners including Joseph V. Reed form a renewed Hobe Sound Company and acquire the island
1934Reed buys his partners' shares. The family's stewardship will run six decades
1944With about 75 residents, Joseph and Permelia Reed establish the Jupiter Island Club
1953The residents incorporate the Town of Jupiter Island
1969Residents entrust 73 oceanfront acres to The Nature Conservancy as Blowing Rocks Preserve, and the Reed sanctuary lands anchor the Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge
1976A further 500 acres at the island's north end pass to the Department of the Interior
1996The Hobe Sound Company's long era closes, its work complete
2018Congress renames the refuge for Nathaniel P. Reed, the conservationist the island raised

Sources: Town of Jupiter Island official history, The Nature Conservancy, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Jonathan Dickinson's published journal

Three centuries, drawn
The turns of the island's story, in order
The island's milestones in order1696The shipwreckand the journal1815The Gomezgrant1925Picture City'sHollywood plan1933The Reedsarrive1944The Clubfounded1953The townincorporates1969The greatgifts1996The companyera closes2018The refugerenamedThe island's milestones in order1696The shipwreck and the journal1815The Gomez grant1925Picture City's Hollywood plan1933The Reeds arrive1944The Club founded1953The town incorporates1969The great gifts1996The company era closes2018The refuge renamed

Sources: Town of Jupiter Island official history and the records above

The Different Vision

In 1933 four partners, among them a retired utilities executive named William Barstow and a young Joseph Verner Reed, formed a renewed Hobe Sound Company and acquired the island. A year later Reed bought his partners' shares, and one of the great acts of patience in American land history began. Where every earlier owner had drawn plans to fill the island, the Reeds drew plans to keep it. Homesites were generous. Land was offered gradually, to families who shared the family's sense of the place. No ground was zoned for commerce. Dozens of interior parcels were platted with a deeded path to the beach eight feet wide, so that every family would live with the ocean.

The community the plats implied duly arrived. In 1944, with about 75 residents, Joseph and Permelia Reed established the Jupiter Island Club, and the next year Reed donated the land for the police station and the firehouse. In 1953 the residents incorporated their town, placing the island's character permanently in its own hands. The family's company carried its stewardship until 1996, six decades of holding one idea steady. Nathaniel Reed would later title his history of the company A Different Vision, and no better name for it exists.

The Great Gifts

The island's most remarkable chapter is the one in which its owners gave its wildest land away. Joseph V. Reed set aside the undeveloped north end in 1967 as the Reed Wilderness Seashore Sanctuary. In 1969 those dunes anchored the new Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge, and a further 500 acres followed in 1976. The south end's turn came the same year the refuge began. When a proposal arrived to build densely above the rocks at the island's southern approach, residents bought the land instead and entrusted its 73 oceanfront acres to The Nature Conservancy. Blowing Rocks Preserve now protects the largest exposed shelf of Anastasia limestone on Florida's east coast, and its beach fills with turtle nests each summer.

These were not easements or postponements. They were gifts in perpetuity, placed beyond the reach of any future generation's change of heart. Both ends of the island are now permanent wilderness, and the town between them is the only thing the island will ever hold.

The Conservationist the Island Raised

The island's ethic produced a national figure. Nathaniel Reed, Joseph and Permelia's son, grew up fishing the inlet and wading the flats, and he turned that childhood into one of America's great conservation careers. As Assistant Secretary of the Interior he helped write the Endangered Species Act of 1973. At home he fought for the Everglades for half a century. In 2018 Congress renamed the refuge at the island's north end in his honor. The wildest stretch of the island's own shore now carries the name of the boy it taught. He also wrote the company's history himself, and his title for the family project, A Different Vision, is the island's story in three words.

The Island the History Built

History explains this island better than any listing ever will. Three centuries of grand plans produced nothing durable, and one family's restraint produced everything. The generous parcels, the quiet, the beach paths, the protected ends and the self-governing town all trace to it. The island's conservation story is the heart of it, and its market is the consequence. A fixed supply of land, shaped by ninety years of restraint, repriced once the world understood it. The record book and our Jupiter Island page carry the numbers. The history carries the reason.

Bottom Line

Jupiter Island spent two centuries defeating grand plans, from a dollar-an-acre land trade to a paper Hollywood. The family that arrived in 1933 planned restraint instead, gave the wild ends away for good, and left a town whose history is the true source of its value.

For anyone drawn to the island: Learn the history before the listings. On Jupiter Island the past is not background. It is the product.

Dates and events follow the Town of Jupiter Island's official history, with the conservation record verified against The Nature Conservancy and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The shipwreck account follows Jonathan Dickinson's published journal. Early land prices are as the town's history records them. The Hobe Sound Company's own story is told in Nathaniel P. Reed's book A Different Vision.

This essay describes historical events and public institutions. No living resident is named, and nothing here speaks for the town, the club or the preserves.

Town of Jupiter Island, official history.

The Nature Conservancy, Blowing Rocks Preserve.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Nathaniel P. Reed Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge.

Jonathan Dickinson's Journal, first published 1699.

Nathaniel P. Reed, A Different Vision: The History of the Hobe Sound Company and the Jupiter Island Club.

Nikko Karki
Written by

Nikko Karki

Nikko Karki holds an M.Sc. in economics from Helsinki School of Economics and has been in real estate for nearly two decades. He spent his early career on the developer side at Related Group in West Palm Beach, running the analysis behind the region's largest luxury projects. He has since worked on residential, commercial, and hospitality projects across the U.S., Europe, and Southeast Asia. He built this platform so that buyers and sellers could have better real estate outcomes through better analysis, for free.
About our team →
Frequently Asked Questions
The name descends from the Jobe people, who lived along this stretch of coast before European settlement. Spanish accounts rendered their name Jobe, pronounced roughly Hoe-bay, which survives directly in Hobe Sound. English speakers later heard the word as Jove, the Roman god, and the island and inlet took the god's other name, Jupiter. One native name, filtered through two languages, produced both of the area's place names.
A long line of ambitious owners. Spain granted the land to Don Eusebio Gomez in 1815, and speculators traded it through the 1820s, beginning at one dollar an acre. English investors ran pineapple plantations until the freeze of 1895. William Angas built the Island Inn era, the Olympia Improvement Company platted subdivisions in 1923, and Picture City planned a movie colony before the 1926 crash. A Depression-era liquidation then carried the island to the partnership from which Joseph V. Reed emerged as sole steward in 1934.
The boldest of the island's failed plans. In 1925, at the height of the Florida land boom, a company called Picture City bought the holdings around Hobe Sound. The plan was an east coast Hollywood, with studios, celebrity homes and a film industry on the Atlantic. The boom crashed the following year and the company went bankrupt. The plan left little behind beyond some street names, and the island returned to waiting for its real future.
By gift, deliberately and permanently. Joseph V. Reed set aside the island's wild north end in 1967, and those lands anchored the Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge in 1969, with a further 500 acres given in 1976. The same year the refuge began, residents entrusted 73 oceanfront acres at the south end to The Nature Conservancy as Blowing Rocks Preserve. The gift came after residents turned aside a proposal for dense building on the rocks. Both ends of the island now sit beyond the reach of any future change of heart.
Palm Beach Luxury

Every article we write is built on the same research we use to advise our clients. If anything here sparked your interest, we'd welcome a conversation.

Start a Conversation